Landing in the UK – Prepare in A
“Every year should be teaching us something valuable. Whether you get the lesson is really up to you “
– Oprah Winfrey
Starting a new line of work is daunting on
Before landing at Heathrow or Gatwick or any of the National airports download a map of the airport so you know where you are and where you need to get to for your transit onto your next destination. These airports are big and it’s easy to get lost.
It takes a while, once the plane has landed, to walk through numerous walkways, through passport control and then find your luggage and finally make it through customs. Allow at least an hour.
If you have no one to meet you in the UK, it may be wise to get a Sim Card at Heathrow and then maybe have one night at a B&B or a hotel near Heathrow. You will be tired physically and emotionally, be kind to yourself.
Plan your trip for the next day, use www.trainline.co.uk for rail bookings, these can be done online. Google maps will become a best friend. Public transport in the UK is very good and provides liberating freedom.
Allow yourself plenty of time
If you are anything like me, I was very nervous about spending money in the UK before earning any. So to put your mind at rest let’s calculate your initial costs.
- You will need the airfare to the UK approximately, £450.00 dependent, on the season airline selected.
- One night in B&B or Hotel on landing, budget £60.00 and add in a bit extra for food.
- Transport from Hotel to training in Wales by train i.e. £60.00
- 5 Nights’ accommodation with Care agency at approxim- ately £150.00
- Plus some food and transport out to B&B or onto new job £150.00
- DBS Certification( Police clearance) £70.00 This could come to as much as£1000.00 conservatively. The good news is that within one week of working you would have made £600.00 so within two weeks your debt is paid off. Within a month, you are £1000.00 in credit. Month two and you will save a further £2000.00 conservatively. Obviously this will change according to currency exchange at the time. Very quickly you can start to accumulate money and make a difference to your future. So be brave and take the next step.
B&B’s near Heathrow Airport http://www.oakwoodbe- dandbreakfastheath row.com/
http://www.heathrowlodgehotel.co.uk/ourro oms/. (very cheap)
Or check out Air B&B alternatively some hostels are good too, I have heard that particularly the one in Bath.
Always remember to keep receipts or photograph them on your phone as this will date stamp them too, as these will be your first expenses. For filing your tax return at the end of the year.